Stadium Sports Grill located in Spearfish, SD
With menu items such as Slam Dunk Sandwiches, what sports fan wouldn't want to eat here? The Stadium has all the advantages for game buffs! Hand-cut meats, generous portions, and a full bar are hallmarks of the Stadium Sports Grill, and you'll enjoy the pub's atmosphere!
Check for drink specials by checking in on Foursquare!
Stadium Sports Grill, Spearfish, SD
Spearfish, SD History
The history of Spearfish, South Dakota is filled with tales of Indians, gold fever and explorations of unknown territory. A new way of living was founded when the tiny settlement of Spearfish was established. People learned to enjoy the quiet atmosphere and the clean reputation of a new and prosperous city. Spearfish started small, but little did it know that it would soon become the center of commerce and community in the Black Hills.
Spearfish’s history does not begin with its establishment in 1876, but with the thrilling story of seven men who entered the Black Hills to find more than their share of excitement. In 1833, a band of men, led by Ezra Kind entered what was to become Lawrence County territory in search of gold. It seemed the band had discovered gold and were headed home when they were attacked and killed by Indians. One of the men made it through the first attack and quickly etched their story on a piece of rock, which was later called the Thoen Stone (named for the man who found it in 1887). The stone told of their discovery of gold and the attack by Indians. Had these men made it back to their home, the rush to the Black Hills may have begun many years earlier. Ezra Kind was the only one to have survived the attack, but it is assumed that he was later killed by more Indians.
Gold fever brought more men to “dem der hills”, but many, like Ezra Kind and his men, were run off by Indians. The first non-Indians to actually settle in the land near the Spearfish River were led by two men, Alfred Gay and J.E. Smith. These men were credited with having begun the settlement of Spearfish, Dakota Territory. Spearfish was named for the river that gave the city its life supporting water. The river was given its name by the Indians who loved to spear the fish in the crystal clear waters. In 1876, the township of Spearfish had officially begun.
Although it was the gold that brought men to Spearfish, it was not the gold that kept them there. The settlement was soon to be seen as a center for commerce and community. The setting was ideal. The river provided a water supply and irrigation for farming. It was a quiet atmosphere moved away from the tawdry reputation of such cities as Deadwood, Lead and Center City. It became obvious that Spearfish would be the city to clean up the reputation of the Black Hills. In 1876, the first building was erected. It was a log cabin that started a trend for more and it soon became apparent that Spearfish was going to grow and would need protection from the Indians. A stockade was built and it protected the people of Spearfish from attack during the winter of 1876-1877. In 1877, the Sioux title brought an end to Indian hostilities and Spearfish could concentrate on growing.
In 1877, the first store was opened and also a United States post office. These were followed by a sawmill, blacksmith shop, livery stable and law office. By the 1890 census, the population of Spearfish had grown to 671. Because of this growth, Spearfish seemed a perfect place for a Federal Fish Hatchery. The fish hatchery, now known as DC Booth Historic Fish Hatchery was completed in 1899 and has since then supplied millions of trout to the Black Hills waters. Also in 1893, a railroad was built through Spearfish Canyon for the purpose of bring ore to mines for processing, but it soon became an outstanding scenic attraction to the Black Hills. The railroad was once said to need no fuel because the hills made the track so winding the train could roll down one hill and still have enough speed to make it up the next! Spearfish seemed to be a place of great interest for many, the beautiful scenery and its ideal location at the base of Spearfish Canyon brought people from all over the country, and because of this was petitioned in 1897 to build a roadway through Spearfish Canyon. When the road was completed in 1930, it became know to all that Spearfish was on the way to great cultural and economic growth.
In 1883, the Spearfish Normal School was established. Now known as Black Hills State University, the school is a major employer of Spearfish residents and has been a great asset to Spearfish. 1906 brought the establishment of Matthews Opera House, the center of entertainment in Spearfish. The opera house stands today and is still as enjoyable as ever. Josef Meier brought the Black Hills Passion Play, a play portraying the last seven days in the life of Christ, to Spearfish in 1938. A large outdoor amphitheater was built to hold the play’s large cast of local townspeople.
Spearfish has a great reputation for its importance as an educational, agricultural and commercial center. It is now home to many annual events, which bring people from all over the country.
This information from the Spearfish Community Fact Book.
Stadium Sports Grill
744 Main St.
Spearfish, SD 57783